Monday 6 August 2012

5 months

Make yourself a cuppa and put your feet up this is going to be a long one! It has been an exciting and eventful month for our little guy.

After weeks of staring at us eating and even trying to steal rice off my plate we decided it was time to introduce Little A to the wonderful world of solids. The process has been a gradual one as we are introducing one new food each week. Starting with Farex, Little A has since enjoyed Sweet Potato, Apple and most recently Avocado. He happily devours everything on offer and lets out a desperate wail if you haven't reloaded the spoon by the time he has swallowed his last mouthful. His obvious LOVE of food is a sure sign he is my son (in case that experience of child birth ever fades and I am ever left wondering!!!!) However it is not all smiles and smooth sailing at food time. Here is how a typical mealtime plays out...

"Is that for me?"

"Bring my bib back... I'm not done!"

Speaking of bibs I discovered very quickly that they don't cover much and when you are an OCD mother dealing with curious little fingers and sweet potato they just don't cut it. Enter the painting smock...

"I thought you were just kidding about wrapping me in plastic"

Here is some more mealtime fun for you:

"Any chance of seconds?"

"Okay no seconds then. What about some dessert?"

"What about that banana over there"

"NO DESSERT!!!"

Little A's appetite isn't the only thing that has developed this month. Now that he has well and truly mastered the grasping of things he wants to grab everything in sight. This is making simple things like trying to read a book a bit more of a challenge! On the plus side though he is starting to enjoy his toys on a whole new level...






Tummy time is turning into a desperate bid to get moving. Luckily (for us) he is a little way off actually getting anywhere just yet but its super cute to watch him try his little heart out. Most attempts to draw his knees up and lift his hips result in a face plant which is quite entertaining!


In regards to sleep I have finally adjusted to the 2 feeds per night which hasn't changed since it started last month. Apart from the feeds Little A is more settled at nights again. We did have one night this month that gave me insight as to what its like to get up 5 times in the space of a 2.5 hours! Luckily things returned to normal again the next night. Sleep deprivation doesn't suit me!

As for daytime sleeps we have now dropped down to 3 sleeps per day. These sleeps can vary in length from 30 minutes up to 2.5 hours. Generally I find that his first sleep in the morning is his best sleep for the day. Like all mothers I just adore a sleeping baby! Here are my favourite snoozing shots from this month...





All in all it has been an amazing month filled with lots of special memories. I can't wait to see what next month holds.

When did you stop wrapping baby for sleep time?
Any tips on helping them adjust
?

2 comments:

  1. Love the picks you shared and soooo love his reaction to food! Was just working on my little one's 5 month info as well! We no longer swaddle her (which I am assuming what you mean when you say wrap) but we have her in a baby merlin magic sleep suit for naps- lifesaver since she would just wake herself up jerking around. at night she is in a sleep sack and does just fine- thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe its been 5 months!?! Thanks for the info. Will have to check these magic sleep suits out. Little A just loves to be wrapped but I know we can't do it forever!

    ReplyDelete